Over 300 participants from all over the world will gather in Vilnius on April 4- 6, 2017 to discuss the state of harm reduction in Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia (CEECA).
The Eurasian Harm Reduction Network (EHRN) makes it possible for journalists to be in the epicenter of this event and announces an open contest for scholarships for mass media representatives from the CEECA region to attend and cover the Regional Conference.
The scholarship is an opportunity for journalists to meet representatives of governments and agencies, NGOs and communities, experts and representatives of international organizations. It is also an opportunity to learn about the results and prospects of harm reduction programs in the region in a new environment, which is associated with transition from donor funding to national funding, responses to new drug policy challenges and public health needs.
Among those who have confirmed their participation are:
- Michel Kazatchkine, UN Secretary-General's Special Envoy on HIV/AIDS in Eastern Europe and Central Asia;
- Aldo Lale-Demoz, Deputy Executive Director of the UN Office for Drugs and Crime (UNODC);
- Vinay Saldanha, Director of the Regional Support Team for Eastern Europe and Central Asia, Joint UN Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS);
- Ken-Marti Vaher, member of Parliament of Estonia;
- Pavel Bém, member of the Global Commission on Drug Policy, formerly Mayor of Prague;
- Piotr Jabłoński, Director of the National Bureau for Drug Prevention, Poland;
- Jindřich Vobořil, National Anti-Drug Coordinator, Czech Republic;
- John-Peter Kools, Chair of the Board of the International Harm Reduction Network, the Netherlands;
- Judy Chang, Executive Director of the International Network of People Who Use Drugs.
Main topics of the conference: harm reduction program financing; the role of harm reduction in social and health programs for people who use drugs; harm reduction in the context of drug policies based on human rights and health.
Contest timeline – February 15 to 28, 2017.
To participate in the contest check the following information.